Saturday, May 21, 2011

MacGyver Moment: Knit Pump Case

So, my Mum got in a bit of an accident last weekend (she is okay, but a bit banged up and stressed) and I wasn't able to finish all the posts for Diabetes Blog Week. My post for Sunday was for Karen, who started and organizes Diabetes Blog Week. Something I realized about Karen while reading her posts this time around is that she also knits! So, in the spirit of Karen's awesomeness I have amalgamated the interests of both her blogs with a knitted pump cases! 

There are two cases I have made. Both are supposed to be worn around the side of a bra...

Fig. 1: Where you can wear it
(though, really, wear it anywhere you like)

The first is a little more simple...

Simple Knit Pump Case


Yarn: Bernat Satin [100% Acrylic; 100g; 149 m/163 yrds] (I used the colour Buff, but there are a lot of colours to choose from- beige and earth tones to bright and colourful)

Needles: 5mm/US8

Button: 15mm button

Gauge: 18 sts/24 rows = 4X4 inches using size US8 needles

Directions:
Body section:
Cast on 16 stiches.
1st row: knit all stitches.
2nd row: purl all stitches.
Repeat these two rows until the piece measures 6.5 inches and ending on a purl row.

Begin to decrease for the strap:
Row 1: K1, SSK, knit to last three stitches, K2tog, K1
Row 2: Purl all stitches.
Row 3: Knit all stitches.
Repeat these three rows until 5 stitches remain.

Continue in stockinette stitch until the strap measures 6 inches (from the first decrease round.)
K2, YO twice, K2together, knit to end.
Next row, P3, drop the next sticth (one of the YO), P2.

Continue in stockinette for another 1 inch and bind off all stitches.

Finishing:

With the wrong side (purl) facing you fold the body section up 3.25 inches. Join seams on either side to create a pocket.

Weave in all ends.

Sew a 15mm button on in the middle of the upper front of the pocket (opposite side of the strap.)

Fig. 2: Really off-scale schemata...
be thankful I don't give instructions for bridges.


In the Round Knit Pump Case


Yarn: Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo [80% Bamboo sourced viscose, 20% Wool; 50g; 95 m/104 yrds] (I used the colour Nestle, which apparently has been discontinued)

Needles: 4 double pointed size 4mm/US6

Button: 15mm button
Gauge: 22 sts/28 rows = 4X4 inches using size US6 needles

Directions:
Body section:
Cast on 30 stitches, distribute evenly among three needles and join for knitting in the round.
1st round: Place marker to mark beginning of round. K all stitches.
Continue knitting each round until the piece measures 3 inches.
Next round K2tog, K13, SSK, K to end of round.
Next round K all stitches.
Next round K2tog, K11, SSK, K to end of round.
Next round K all stitches.
Next round K2tog, K10, SSK, K to end of round.
Next round K all stitches.
Next round K2tog, K8, SSK, K to end of round.
Rearrange stiches onto two needles, so that there are twelve on one needle and twelve on the other.
Bind off in kitchener stitch

Strap:
From the original marker placed to mark the beginning of the work, pick-up and knit 15 stitches.
1st row: K2, P until last two stitches, K2
2nd row:  K2, SSK, K until last four stitches, K2tog, K2 (13 stitches left)
3rd row: K2, P until last two stitches, K2
4th row: K2, SSK, K until last four stitches, K2tog, K2 (11 stitches left)
5th row: K2, P until last two stitches, K2
6th row:  K2, SSK, K until last four stitches, K2tog, K2 (9 stitches left)
7th row: K2, P until last two stitches, K2
8th row:  K2, SSK, K until last four stitches, K2tog, K2 (7 stitches left)
9th row: K2, P until last two stitches, K2
10th row: K all stitches
Making sure to end on an odd row, repeat last two rows until strap measures 6 inches (or desired length) from the pick-up stitches.
Next row: K3, YO twice, K2together, knit to end.
Next row: K2, P, drop the next sticth (one of the YO), P to last 2 stitches, K2.
Next row: K all stitches.
Next row: K2, P to last two stitches, K2.
Repeat last two rows for one more inch.

Bind off all stitches.

Weave in ends and sew on 15mm button on middle of front.

Some notes about the patterns: 
  • I have an Animas 2020 pump and, so, all the measurements were derived from this pumps dimensions... but I the material ends up having a fair amount of give and I think the measurements would work well enough for the Metronic pumps as well...
  • It may seem weird to have a smaller strap, but it makes it easier to take the pump out of the case without having to undo the button...
  • I did this last pattern I did from memory. If any of the decreases are off, please let me know...
  • I don't mind (if it ends up working well and you end up liking the pattern) people sharing the pattern, but please give credit and link back here. (Thanks <3)

6 comments:

Jamie Naessens said...

These are pure awesomeness! I've been stashing mine in the strap of my bra, but hate when it gets pushed up and out, causing potentially embarrassing bungee pumping accidents. I've also wondered that the plastic on skin might not be the best choice in the summer months. I haven't knit in like... 40 yrs *gulp*, but I've put a help call to my mom to help me.

Virtue said...

If mum isn't available, I'd be happy to make you one!

I know what you mean about the bra stash... It seems to work ok for some, but I find it really uncomfortable. It also, like you mentioned, gets sweaty gross in the summers here.

Jane K said...

Wow. I am very - extremely - impressed with your creativity. I'm envious too! I can knit, but not like that! Glad to meet you, and now I know who to ask my stupid knitting questions...

Virtue said...

Thanks, Jane! Glad to meet you too :)

Karen said...

Sorry to hear about your mom's accident, but I'm so glad she is okay!! And this totally counts as your last DBlog Week Post. AND EEEEEEEEE it has awesome knitting patterns!!! I can't wait to cast these on - I think I'll do the in-the-round one first because I love when there isn't any seaming to do. :)

Anonymous said...

I JUST started knitting yesterday and today the idea for an insulin pump pouch being knitted occured to me and I googled it and hence found this! I've managed to figure out the knit and purl so here's to hoping I can figure this thing out! At least this might hopefully get me through till I get better and can make one that looks better too.. :) Thanks for this though! (Aside form the fact this post was made a year ago and yet I'm responding to it! I just had to share my excitment!)

Post a Comment