I received an email from a friend that is a nanny. The little girl she looks after was diagnosed with type one in the past year and just went on an insulin pump. Seeing that I too wear a pump my friend the nanny asked if she could forward me some questions. Feel free to chime in:
- Has your pump ever fallen off/out while running/jumping /playing sports etc? What did you do?
- Do people still ask about it/want to touch it/want to know what’s wrong with you, even when you’re a grown up?
- Do you have lots of marks (I think she means scars…she’s starting to get a few), by the time that you’re old?
- Do adults ever forget their diabetes bag (one with blood sugar testing/emergency snacks etc)?
- Have you travelled lots and lots? Any problems? (she’s a big world traveller)
- How old were you when you could do it all yourself (testing, operating pump etc.)?